still_emerging

Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Choice: The REAL Difference Between "Haves" and "Have Nots"

Part of the ministry my faith community shares in is providing food stuff for a local pantry. At Thanksgiving we put together large baskets of food for those in need. The pantry gave us a specific list of what to place in those baskets, and the people receiving them had no choice about what they were eating for Thanksgiving dinner. Next to that very specific list which I posted on my fridge as a reminder, was my family's dinner menus for the week. I had twelve diffferent menu options to choose from and we could choose to eat them on whatever day in whatever order we felt like.

This got me thinking about what a luxury it is to be able to choose, and how much I take this freedom to choose for granted.
I can choose what my family is going to eat or not. I can choose to go to the dentist or not. I can choose to walk or drive somewhere. I can choose whether to go on vacation and I can choose where I want to go. I even have the luxury of choosing whether to get a job or not. I possess the privilege of choice. And when I don't have the freedom to choose, I get mad, frustrated, upset.

As an inane example, my health insurance plan limits me to choose only those physicians who are designated as "preferred providers." The county by county list in my state of these "Preferred Providers" is very short. In a particular specialty, there may only be one doctor listed, and that lack of choice leaves me feeling powerless and indignant. I want/expect the right to choose what doctor I go to. But at least I can choose whether to go to the doctor's or not.

Those in poverty have no such luxury of choice.

1 Comments:

  • I am sorry to see that you haven't posed since December. I have to say that this post on the difference between the "Haves"and the "Have Nots" is very powerful.

    By Blogger zenpilgrim, at 6:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home