still_emerging

Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Wise words to live by

These words found in the poem "We Have Not Come to Take Prisoners" by Hafiz served as the inspiration for a right response to a quandry (more institutional church emotional abuse and ministry piracy stuff) I was recently facing. I have committed them to memory and suspect thatt they will come in handy in the future since institutional church emotional abuse and ministry piracy seem to come with the territory. (Yes, the irony/desolation of that strike me, too.)


Run my dear
From anything
That does not strengthen
Your precious budding wings

Run like hell my dear,
From anyone likely
To put a sharp knife
Into the sacred tender vision
Of your beautiful heart

This poem is a reminder that we have the right to act to preserve ourselves in the presence of those who have the power to crush our tender wings, stab our sacred tender vision (that particular phrase so resonates for me.) It makes me shiver to think of those in positions of power who choose not to nurture such tender fragile souls but to crush them. And it inspires me to continue speaking up on their behalf and (less frequently) my own.